Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Post Chemo update

Hi friends and readers...sorry it has taken me a while to write an update after my final chemotherapy and stint in hospital.  After Easter, I had another blood test and appointment with my oncologist.  At this appointment I had hoped to hear the news that the chemotherapy had done its job and my CA125 levels had been reduced to their normal low numbers....disappointingly, this was not the case and they had actually gone up to well above their levels when I was first diagnosed...I was shocked to say the least!!!!  What next I thought?  The doctor said that sometimes this test is not always the most accurate, so I was sent off for CT and PET scans....and at the end of April I returned for the results.  These too were not what I had hoped and prayed for....they showed I had more tumours growing, and not just one, but quite a few.  I had already gone through in my head that I didn't really want radiotherapy or more surgery, however had also made a decision in my head that I would of course do whatever was suggested by the doctors!  Well, I needn't have been too concerned about either of these options as because I had more than one tumour, the radiation could do more damage to surrounding organs, and I likely have too much scar tissue/adhesions from my surgery last year, so surgery was also not an option.  Yikes!  What next then?  Go home to die I'm automatically thinking.  No, the doctor suggested referral to be considered for clinical trials....they were to make a referral to the Alfred for potential trials there.  Well, a few days later, I received a call from the Alfred inviting me to come in for a chat about the possibilities.  The short story is that there may be a potential option, however my tumours aren't "bad enough", and also the type of Ovarian Cancer I have is a lot rarer, and also, I have come to discover, much more aggressive and often resistant to chemotherapy...the upshot of all of this is that I am needing to rely more and more on God and not so much on my own strength, the skills of the surgeons and the effectiveness of chemotherapy.  My mind goes from thinking the worst case scenario to being positive.  So I have contacted the doctors at the Alfred today to ask to be considered for their trials...hopefully I will have a screening appointment next week and then be able to start shortly after.  I have to say though, that through all of this, I continue to feel God's amazing peace, which really is the peace which passes all understanding!  I don't know what the future holds, but I do know that whatever the outcome, I can only win!  If you have managed to read this far, I thank you for listening to my ramblings and ask that you might be praying for me and my continued journey.  Will continue to keep you posted.  Lisa xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa, I have just read your latest post and have tears in my eyes. I will continue to pray for you because I too belief in God's power and that he has a reason for everything, I also have to thank you for these posts, they have helped to give me an understanding of what this journey must be like from the other perspective. Please stay strong my friend, Maureen.